Wow, I got back into blogging about children’s books at exactly the right time. There are so many exciting things going on. One of the biggest is Multicultural Children’s Book Day, which is scheduled for Friday January 27, 2017.
Free Resources for Teachers and Parents:
- Diversity Book Lists and Activities – lists arranged by regions, religions, and genre.
- Diversity Book Award Lists – are on the bottom of this page (scroll down)
- Free Multicultural Book for Teachers (must sign up)
- Free Kindness Classroom Kit for Homeschoolers, Organizations, Librarians and Educators (must sign up)
- Free Multicultural Children’s Book Day Poster
- Book Bundle Giveaways on Multicultural Children’s Book Day (requires registration and attending the MCBD Twitter Party on Jan 27.)
- The ebook Read Your World: A Guide to Multicultural Children’s Books for Parents and Educators – it is currently free at Amazon with Kindle unlimited, and will be FREE to Everyone January 26th-January 30th, 2017. (link goes to Amazon)
And don’t forget all the reviews of multicultural books which will be linked to the website on January 27.
Multicultural Children’s Book Day 2017 (1/27/17) is in its fourth year and was founded by Valarie Budayr from Jump Into A Book and Mia Wenjen from PragmaticMom. Our mission is to raise awareness of the ongoing need to include kids’ books that celebrate diversity in home and school bookshelves while also working diligently to get more of these types of books into the hands of young readers, parents and educators.
Despite census data that shows 37% of the US population consists of people of color, only 10% of children’s books published have diversity content. Using the Multicultural Children’s Book Day holiday, the MCBD Team is on a mission to change all of that.
Current Sponsors: MCBD 2017 is honored to have some amazing Sponsors on board. Platinum Sponsors include Scholastic, Barefoot Books and Broccoli. Other Medallion Level Sponsors include heavy-hitters like Author Carole P. Roman, Audrey Press, Candlewick Press, Fathers Incorporated, KidLitTV, Capstone Young Readers, ChildsPlayUsa, Author Gayle Swift, Wisdom Tales Press, Lee& Low Books, The Pack-n-Go Girls, Live Oak Media, Author Charlotte Riggle, Chronicle Books and Pomelo Books
Author Sponsor include: Karen Leggett Abouraya, Veronica Appleton, Susan Bernardo, Kathleen Burkinshaw, Delores Connors, Maria Dismondy, D.G. Driver, Geoff Griffin, Savannah Hendricks, Stephen Hodges, Carmen Bernier-Grand,Vahid Imani, Gwen Jackson, Hena, Kahn, David Kelly, Mariana Llanos, Natasha Moulton-Levy, Teddy O’Malley, Stacy McAnulty, Cerece Murphy, Miranda Paul, Annette Pimentel, Greg Ransom, Sandra Richards, Elsa Takaoka, Graciela Tiscareño-Sato, Sarah Stevenson, Monica Mathis-Stowe SmartChoiceNation, Andrea Y. Wang
Hashtag: Don’t forget to connect with us on social media and be sure and look for/use the official hashtag #ReadYourWorld.